Welcome to the official forum of Whyzdom - Symphonic Metal with Orchestra and Choir

It is currently Tue 19 Mar 2024 07:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: PROTEGEZ VOS OREILLES
PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 19:57 

I definitely strongly suggest that you invest in molded earplugs. It's VERY expensive, but some of them are designed to not alter the sound spectrum... and after all, you only have one pair of ears for one life time - they're worth it.

You can try in the US : http://www.alienears.com/plugs.htm
or in France :
http://www.earsonics.com/PAD%20custom%20engl.htm

... or anything equivalent.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 19:59 

OK, I will have a look (especially before seeing Tarja in May).

It is true you only have one pair of ears and I do indeed value my hearing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 20:02 

Yep. Clémentine and myself just ordered some inear monitors from Alien Ears in the US. We hope they'll make a good job... (they're much cheaper than the french alternative)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:49 

Vynce Leff wrote:
Yep. Clémentine and myself just ordered some inear monitors from Alien Ears in the US. We hope they'll make a good job... (they're much cheaper than the french alternative)

Cool I will check that out, thanks :)

They are indeed very expensive, but if you are performing I would say they are worth it.

As an audience member I may not have to go that route.. but if I manage to find a band one day (hey I can dream right? lol), I will indeed look at those again. They sound very nice and well worth the cost.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 1 Mar 2011 15:11 

And now I find myself facing the problem of needing earplugs and wondering how to sing with them >.>

Would something like this work? (I don't have much money :/)
http://www.audilo.com/bouchons-ER20-BabyBlues.html

During the audition i had some really crappy ones and I couldn't hear a lot of the guitars nor could I hear myself.. so I'm worried that singing with earplugs will be weird and awkward :/ but the music is very loud, even for me who has gone to many concerts without earplugs -_-

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 1 Mar 2011 15:55 

I simply use wax "boules quies". They have the strongest attenuation (25-30dB). The Etymotic look fine and very cheap - they are recommended by other resellers like Acoufun (they use the etymotic ER20 tehnology). It also depends on your ear shape. I have a very elliptic canal, so they don't work well for me. Wax fills entirely the canal, whatever shape it is ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 2 Mar 2011 11:07 

But would the wax cut the sound of the other instruments? I couldn't hear a lot of the guitars with the ones I had, nor my own voice or even the voice of the bassist. :/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 2 Mar 2011 12:37 

Well well... In the vast majority cases, if you don't hear everything well, it's not the fault of the ear protection, but the fault of the mix :mrgreen: . In rehearsal rooms, everyone wants to hear himself clearer, then starts to raise its own volume, etc...

First thing : put an enormous blanket inside the kick drum to damp it - it will leave some room to hear the rest. Then suggest all musicians not to play besides their own amp (because their legs definitely do NOT have ears) but in the opposite side of the room, facing their HP : it should help them to hear better at lower volume.

But I know it's really very difficult to change people habits (guitarists love to have their amp facing their knees - I don't know why... :lol: )

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 2 Mar 2011 22:44 

Vynce Leff wrote:
then starts to raise its own volume, etc...

Up to eleven ? :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 3 Mar 2011 21:54 

Drums are well dampened I think.. the drummer even has an audience of giant stuffed toys to help LOL

The amps might be an issue, but the practice space doesn't allow for much options the amps were mostly in the backs of everyone though..

I guess I will start with a decent pair of earplugs and see what happens then. Thanks for the advice! :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 25 Mar 2011 19:33 

Je viens de recevoir mes nouveaux in-ear monitors !

Je suis bluffé ! Je n'ai jamais réussi à avoir autant d'atténuation qu'avec ceux là : protection maximale, peut-être même meilleure que les boules quies... et le son, et ben pour un simple transducteur, c'est tout simplement EXCELLENT !

J'en peux plus de bonheur !

:D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2011 10:24 

Nice ^^

Hmm well I just bought some musician earplugs..
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/al ... dsZStGZWVk

Singing with them is still weird.. it's less bad than the generic foam ones because at least I hear more of the higher guitar notes etc.. but I still have that "suffocated in my head" feel that makes singing with them very awkward.. I don't like it at all.

I feel like something is going to suffer.. my hearing or my singing.. I guess I'm just going to have to get used to singing with them in.. maybe record myself singing with them in to hear what it sounds like from the outside and adjust as necessary -_-

Right now no one can even hear me anyway because I haven't figured out the mic.. it's not a shape I'm used to and it seems to only pick me up if I hold it upside down? >.> Ah the joys of equipment compared to just singing at home or something :arg: lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2011 11:53 

Oh, what mic do you use ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar 2011 13:34 

It's one the band has.. it's like a dynamic mic, except it is flat on top and the sides are less wide.. kind of more cylindrical than round (I don't know the name of this shape).

I'm used mainly to the plain round dynamic mic (like I have at home, this one: http://www.siglermusiconline.com/store/ ... 0p2997.htm) or a condenser mic (but these are for recording only as you know).

This one is just weird, I feel like I have to eat it to have it pick up my voice.. and I don't sing quietly.. and even with proper amplification it is a pain -_- I think it might be related to the shape of it. Or maybe I'm holding it backwards, but I was sure that the switch faces you.. I dunno >.>

Also maybe I need to make a separate topic for the sake of your forum mod :P

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov 2011 20:37 

Ah yes in this topic. I finally gave in a month ago and bought an in-ear monitoring system from the famed thomann, I also picked up a new microphone.

The difference was insane. I could be heard (apparently this old mic was just crap)! I could HEAR myself and it really seemed to improve band morale (we were starting to wonder if the problem was myself). Practices actually feel productive and I feel less crappy now.

It isn't a custom molded device, but I did buy upgraded earphones than the ones that came with the kit. I was torn between some from Shure or ones Thomann sold. In the end the ones from Thomann won out as they had much better overall reviews, and I don't regret them. They are the silicone sleeves, but it works. I didn't believe at first they could also protect my ears, but they really do. I'm glad I finally just decided to buy it.

In the future maybe I will invest in the custom molded ones, but for now we aren't even doing live stuff (yet, working on a demo and EP), much less anything on a more professional level, so it is more than good enough for now :)

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next