Welcome to the official forum of Whyzdom - Symphonic Metal with Orchestra and Choir

It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 16:08

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Anex says Helloes ♥
PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 15:18 

I posted an intro in the French forum but it took a lot of work and thinking and I'm limited because my written French really sucks.

So allow me to introduce myself in my native tongue:

My name is Anex... well online anyway. I have had this name since I was 13, I am now 26 :)

I'm American (from Texas) and I live in France (the Alsace). My husband is French and this is why I moved here (everyone likes to ask me ;p)

I can speak French (albeit barbarically, I have very poor grammar) and I learned by watching TV (the simpsons mainly). I can read French and I can understand it pretty well, speaking is harder and writing is near impossible for me :/

I didn't take French in school, and I used to tease my friends who did, saying they would never use it (funny how that came back to bite me in the butt lol).

Anyway I am a big fan of symphonic metal. I discovered the genre thanks to Nightwish. I am a fan of old Nightwish (it is important to mention because they are no longer the same style of music since dismissing Tarja), Tarja in her solo work, and Amberian Dawn.

I discovered Whyzdom thanks to some French friends I met via Amberian Dawn and their forum. I was actually pleasantly surprised because my overall opinion of French music was very bad. Pop, and rap are the big genres here (in France).. and most French popular music is VERY VERY bad.. I had no idea there were French bands in the symphonic metal genre (and I keep finding more every day in my quest to maybe find a little band).

Anyway Whyzdom seems very promising. I haven't attached myself to it yet because I am looking forward to getting to discover them fully with Clémentine. So I don't yet have a favorite song :p When the album comes out I will probably head to my local FNAC (French electronics/music/dvd type store) and pick it up or order it if I have to :)

I'm taking lyrical singing lessons (though I have to stop them for a bit in order to visit my family to the US this summer, they are not cheap) and I am a soprano (with a "really big voice" according to my teacher). I LOVE to sing and I love learning how to sing properly.

My teacher would really like me to join a choir, and I would love to as well but I can not read music so this really hinders me :/ I'm hoping I can maybe find a choir that will accept beginners so I can learn to read through performing, but we will see. If I was younger it would probably be easier.. It honestly really limits me and makes me hesitant to try to attempt anything..

As for favorite books, I love fantasy. The Dark Elf Trilogy and the series of books involving Drizzt Do'Urden are some of my favorite. Lord of the Rings is of course another and I also enjoyed Name of the Wind.

So favorite movies are more or less in this genre. Though I do indeed like silly things like Monty Python and the Holy Grail... or even more thoughtful movies like Inception and Avatar.

I also like Legend of the Seeker which is a TV series that I'm currently watching via some fan subs in France (I can't stand dubbed tv shows and movies no matter then language). Also if you've seen it already (since it is over in most English speaking countries, please don't ruin it for me! >:P)

Aside from that I am a big video game junkie. One of my favorite games is Rock Band (the girl in my signature is my Rock Band character). I play expert vocals in game and post videos of me playing on youtube LOL.

I quite enjoy Rock Band as well because it features music from Amberian Dawn which I helped bring to the game ;)
Maybe Whyzdom would one day be interested in doing the same? It's great promotion to get your music in other countries :)

But yeah that is pretty much me.. sorry for the long book lol!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Anex says Helloes ♥
PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 19:30 

Hi Anex !

Cool to have you onboard ! I'm happy to see that you appreciate our work !

Don't hesitate to post in english - and even write in english in the french section when words are too hard to find. I personnally enjoy writing / reading english - though it's clear that it's not my mother tongue. I hope you'll find Whyzdom lyrics decent :twisted: .

I'm also watching the Legend Of The Seeker TV series these days - I love it !!! :love:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 19:57 

Thanks for the welcome :)

Also thanks about the French section. I often fear that I will get into trouble when I reply in English in a French section on a forum, it is so hard because I can read and understand.. I often want to reply but can't! So frustrating! :arg:

I'm used to bands who write in English as their second language ;) there aren't many in the genre who speak English as a first language anyway :p so I'm not bothered too much hehe... anyway I haven't noticed anything bad so far ;)

Yay for Legend of the Seeker! I will be so sad when the series is over (only 2 seasons! :( ) but I think the books could maybe be interesting so I might have to pick those up ^^

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 20:01 

I don't know about the book. I mean... a tv series is cool, but when it comes to reading, I am very demanding, and I haven't read *that* good reviews about Terry Goodkind... but we have a "book" topic somewhere on the forum to give suggestions for reading.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 20:04 

Vynce Leff wrote:
I don't know about the book. I mean... a tv series is cool, but when it comes to reading, I am very demanding, and I haven't read *that* good reviews about Terry Goodkind... but we have a "book" topic somewhere on the forum to give suggestions for reading.

I'm not sure either, but I figure I'm in a better state to watch the show first and then the book.. because usually when they make a show or movie after a book it sucks (Eragon really annoyed me on that level, movie and book were TWO different things!).

Only one way to see to be honest :lol:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 20:05 

Oh, the Eragon film was pretty terrible, wasn't it ?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 22:07 

first of all, welcome, Anex

i don envy you for your lyrical singing lessons, one day i'll be able to take some lol (i'm a soprano too...)

and nice, i was complaining i needed ideas of stuff to read, and here there are some ideas hehe going to check them out.

(And terrible isn't even a word to describe Eragon movie ¬¬ it was worst than terrible!)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jan 2011 23:07 

Oh, if you want some ideas to read, I recommend : Mistborn from Brandon Sanderson. It's simply fantastic. A very mature work with a very original world and an innovative "system of magic".

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:43 

@Vynce & Thais: Oh man Eragon was absolutely awful to say the least. How could the writer even let them butcher his story like that? :?

It had such potential to make a great trilogy of movies even to almost rival the Lord of the Rings.. such a shame :toosad:

@Vynce: I shall look into it :) those kinds of books are right up my alley ^^
Name of the Wind also had a very interesting system for magic (and went into great detail about it).. it is supposed to be part of The Kingkiller Chronicle .. the book has been out for many years and only just THIS YEAR is the second book being released, I've been so impatient.

As with even the Drizzt series of books I recommend the English ones over the translated ones though.. the Drizzt books really suffered in translation to French and became a very dull, dry story :/

But yes I guess we shall have to continue this in the book thread ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun 2011 22:04 

Hey Anex ! We have a gig in Strasbourg !!!!

:kiss:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2011 15:27 

Thanks for having posted here to remind me about it! Too bad I missed the post because I was failing at keeping up with forums, regardless I saw you guys so it was all good :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011 02:35 

Hi Anex,
Another Yank in da house, wait till Brittany finds you, she needs some one to feel cozy with, she`s put up with me till now :geek:
Great to see you here, hope you have fun.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 17 Nov 2011 11:23 

Akk "yank" I hate this term. I find it derogatory and to me it means someone from the new England area of the US. >:P

But yeah.. I have been here for a while, but I had been inactive for a bit because of other things (mostly band stuff).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2011 00:01 

I`de better not tell you the English rhyme and slang version of that term, you like that even less. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2011 12:12 

I don't doubt it xD

Profile E-mail