Welcome to the official forum of Whyzdom - Symphonic Metal with Orchestra and Choir

It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 16:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: NIGHTWISH
PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011 20:33 

Nightwish are probably the biggest band in the Female Fronted Symphonic Metal scene !!

Are you a fan ?? What got you into Nightwish ?? Have you seen them live ??
What are your fave songs/albums ???

Feel free to discuss anything related to Nightwish here !!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: NIGHTWISH
PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2011 20:52 

Well....as many people here I think, for me, Nightwish died the day they fired Tarja :evil:
Annette Olzon may be a "good" singer, she is not an "exceptional" singer like Tarja is.

I've never seen them live, probably one of my biggest regrets ;) .

I don't have a favourite album, but some favourite songs including Kuolema tekee Taitelijan, Dark chest of wonders and Gethsemane

And I love the DVD End of an Era which shows, imha, Tarja at the summum of her art

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jun 2011 14:02 

Scudabear wrote:
Well....as many people here I think, for me, Nightwish died the day they fired Tarja :evil:

I totally agree ;) I was very sad and disappointed when I knew that Tarja was excluded. And for me,Nightwish doesn't exist any more. Anette doesn't correspond to the "Nightwish style" and I prefer widely the ancient songs.

My favorites songs are Nemo,Kuolema Tekee taitelijan,The Siren and Whish I had an Angel.
I've never seen them in live,and I regret that so much !
But,I want to see Tarja because she's alwways amazing,and her songs are very intenses and wonderful !
:inlove:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 09:41 

My favorite album of Nightwish is Once. I love Tarja voice, and orchestrations by Pip Williams are awesome.

Of course, Dark Passion Play has even more orchestrations (also by Pip Williams). I'm not a very great fan of Anette, but she's ok. There are very strong tunes on this album...

Anyway, I think that Nightwish is one of the only band sticking to the concept of Symphonic Metal, these days... because I feel other bands are using less orchestra, paying less attention to this side of their music. So I'm eager to hear their next opus !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 16:19 

Yeah, it seems that alot of people still share the same view on Nightwish and the Tarja saga even years after she was sacked by band. Tarja for me is and always will be one of the best female vocalists in the Symphonic Metal genre.
I agree that i was suprised when Nightwish announced Anette as their new vocalist, as i'm sure that many other Nightwish fans were, considering the names of other female vocalists that were been linked to Nightwish at the time. But saying that, the album 'Dark Passion Play' went on to become Nightwish's biggest selling album !! Anette is a good vocalist in her own right but really struggles when performing 'Tarja Era' songs live !!
Unfortunately i never saw Nightwish live with Tarja as vocalist but i did see them on the 'Dark Passion Play' Tour in 2008 with Anette and they put on a really good show !!

My favourite Nightwish album is 'Once', as every track on it is a classic, and the live Dvd/Cd album 'End Of An Era' is superb .... Nightwish at their best !!

I feel that the new album is a very important one for Nightwish as it is the first album that has been written solely for Anette's vocals !! The album is due for release early next year and only time will tell !!!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 18:21 

I started to listen to Nightwish when they decided to throw Tarja away. I couldn't bear her voice but I knew Marco's work from Tarot and Northern kings and really appreciated his voice. So, Dark Passion Play is the only album I know, even if I listened some of the songs of the "Tarja era". My favourite one from Nightwish is "The islander", I'm actually working on it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 19:25 

Yes I also think that the next album will tell a lot about Nightwish future !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 20:17 

Hi nico:ego, other Nightwish albums worth checking out are 'Once', 'Wishmaster' and 'Century Child' .... all from the Tarja era !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 22:06 

As Vynce, I really enjoy the work made on the orchestrations !
And I also regret that some "Symphonic Metal Bands" sometimes let this side down in their music.
I'm not a huge fan of Angel Fall First and the strange lyrics from Tuomas, except for Creek Mary's Blood and some other songs.I don't really like the character used by Tuomas too. "The Dead Boy"... I can't bear him anymore :evil:

As many of you, I love Once, but not all the songs on it : I'm found of Creek Mary's Blood, Ghost Love Score, Nemo, Dark Chest of Wonder.. : this album isn't egal at all!

The other albums are often in my MP3 Player! (Creek Mary's Blood is always in ^^)

I 'm full of respect for Anette ! Even if a lot of fans asked her to leave the band or anything else (such as the letter from the Russian fan-club), she has never gave up !!
Furthermore, each year, she improves her voice. Now, she sounds really good "live" and she sing the past songs differently, but quite good now ! Have a look to her 2009 Ghost Love Score version : I really enjoy it !

DarkPP to my mind, is musically, an achievement ! I love all the songs (except For the Heart..) ! =) Maybe is it a bit more darker than the past album ?...
I mean... I love all the songs,but... instrumental versions only ! I think they could have rearrange the vocal lines for Anette voice... but they didn't and sometimes it only makes me dislikes the song :/

I did what I could with my poor English x)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2011 22:45 

Your English is very good misseri :)

Dark Passion Play was indeed 'darker' than previous Nightwish albums !!

Unfortunately, the lyrics were written and the music was recorded before the band had decided on who the new vocalist was going to be which was a disadvantage to Anette....hopefully on the new album, where the lyrics have been wriiten for her vocal range, fans will get to hear what Anette is really capable of !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011 04:06 

Am I the only one?
I have seen Original Nightwish 3 times, and new Nightwish 2 times.
My favourite album is Oceanbourne.
Tracks would be Wish I had an Angel, Sleepwalker, Pharoh sails to orion, bye bye beautiful.
My opinion of Anette and Nightwish is they are a good band, BUT
Tarja and Nightwish were a pioneering, iconic unbeatable combo, that we will never see the light of again.
Tarja`s solo work isn`t bad, but she now hasn`t got the genius of thuomas behind her writting those epics anymore. Although Underneath is one of the finest tracks she has ever put her beautiful voice to.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011 08:44 

Thx Ian ^^

I really like the new opus of Tarja ! I think some songs like Feel Immortal, Run for a Kill, Antheroom Of Death and Naiad kick their ass ;D
In Once, Tarja didn't use her operatic voice (as she did for CC) and I'm a bit disapointed about this ! Now, in her album, she's modulating her voice, and did an artist work, of a passionate artist !In "live" you can see she is present and happy to be there ! It wasn't the same for Once (album) and the following tour. I didn't feel and hear passion in her voice. She was not as passionate as in the past by Nightwish's Music !

Then, Tarja is happy in her own career, and way happy than when she was with Nightwish. She was excluded by the guys, but, she wanted to leave NW just after DPP have been out ! Without being on the DPP tour... BAD IDEA, and mostly, really bad for the band !

Anette said she takes lessons to improve her "headvoice", let's see !
It's THE album I'm waiting for in 2012 ! I know I won't be deceived !;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun 2011 17:29 

No problem misseri .... credit where credit is due :)

Yeah, there are lots of stories of what happened between Tarja and the rest of the band ....... no doubt we will never know the truth !! One thing is for sure, there was definitely friction within the Nightwish camp and a parting of ways was on the cards !!!

The new album 'Imaginarium' is already recorded but the release has been delayed till early next year because a film is been made to accompany the opus !!
It is without doubt one of the most eagerly awaited albums for a long time and i'm sure it will not disappoint.... alot of money and time has gone into the project, too much to be a failure !!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2011 07:39 

Hornet wrote:
Tarja and Nightwish were a pioneering, iconic unbeatable combo, that we will never see the light of again.

I totally agree with that ! Even if next Nightwish album is awesome (which I hope), it probably won't beat the old albums from that "pioneering" perspective.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2011 09:27 

Ah, Nightwish. A band with quite a story. And a story from every fan.

I actually became a Nightwish fan in 2009 when DPP had already been released and the tour was over. For the longest time I had no idea about the whole "feud." I learned to love both Tarja and Anette.

I'd have to say that my favorite albums are Once and DPP. They're the first two that I got and fell in love with.

I too, am looking forward to Imaginarium and seeing what it brings. Hopefully it'll be worth the wait. :)

Profile E-mail