Welcome to the official forum of Whyzdom - Symphonic Metal with Orchestra and Choir

It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 16:09

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you listening now ?
PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2011 22:55 

I`ve been listening to both the new album by Amaranthe and Visions of Atlantis.

I`ve seen the video for Hunger by Amaranthe and thought it was awesome, so I bought the album and i`m not impssed at all, very average :(

Visions of Atlantis-Delta, isn`t the best thing i`ve ever heard, but it has a few good tracks on it and is slowly growing on me. 8-)
It`s my birthday in a couple of weeks, and a few amazon vouchers will be spent on some fine classy metal. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 28 Jun 2011 22:00 

Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra.

I really like DB... eeerrr - except the lyrics, maybe... :cheers:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 2 Jul 2011 17:53 

My latest purchases:
Leaves Eyes - Meredead : I do like it, but miss having more of the heavier stuff as the 'folk' is defintely predominating here! It make a great change anyway.

Battlelore : Doombound : I love Battlelore but this hasn't made as much impression on me yet as their previous albums, just doesn't seem to have as many distinctive tunes, maybe I need to give it a few more listens.

Mayan: Quaterpast: Well, Epica are one of my very favourite bands, so I guess it's no surprise I love this. It took a few listens to get into it as it's so complex, but now I'm more familiar with it I'm really enjoying it - as workout music in the gym now, especially!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 3 Jul 2011 21:58 

Ali wrote:
My latest purchases:
Leaves Eyes - Meredead : I do like it, but miss having more of the heavier stuff as the 'folk' is defintely predominating here! It make a great change anyway.

Battlelore : Doombound : I love Battlelore but this hasn't made as much impression on me yet as their previous albums, just doesn't seem to have as many distinctive tunes, maybe I need to give it a few more listens.

Mayan: Quaterpast: Well, Epica are one of my very favourite bands, so I guess it's no surprise I love this. It took a few listens to get into it as it's so complex, but now I'm more familiar with it I'm really enjoying it - as workout music in the gym now, especially!
I`ve also been listening to the Mayan album a little, i`m undecided yet, some of it sounds great, some of it sounds like the Honey Monster with a bad throat :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 4 Jul 2011 14:42 

I'm listening to Invicible - demo version of the new stuff from the solo project of Anette Olzon

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon 4 Jul 2011 19:51 

Quote:
I`ve also been listening to the Mayan album a little, i`m undecided yet, some of it sounds great, some of it sounds like the Honey Monster with a bad throat :D

LOL! You not a fan of Mark's growls then?! I like them cos I love the contrast with the 'clean' vocals. If it was ONLY growls/grunts I don't think I'd be so keen; I was quite surprised by how much I like it now I've given it a few more listens, when I first heard about Mayan I thought it mightn't be too much to my taste but I'm happy to have been proved wrong.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 5 Jul 2011 01:42 

Ali wrote:
Quote:

LOL! You not a fan of Mark's growls then?! I like them cos I love the contrast with the 'clean' vocals. If it was ONLY growls/grunts I don't think I'd be so keen; I was quite surprised by how much I like it now I've given it a few more listens, when I first heard about Mayan I thought it mightn't be too much to my taste but I'm happy to have been proved wrong.
It`s not that I don`t like a growler, Shagwrath (Dimmu Borgir) would scare the living sh@ out of the lovely Mark J. But some of it isn`t the best. It also seems like he`s tried to lever in the vocals of all his favourite girls as well Simone, Floor and Amanda. But in general it`s a pretty good album, i`m certainly not complaining. :roll:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 7 Jul 2011 18:11 

Listening to Pain's new album 'You Only Live Twice' ............. great band, great album \m/

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 8 Jul 2011 09:43 

Tears For Fears. Mad World, Head Over Heels, Everybody wants to rule the world, Shout...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 8 Jul 2011 19:50 

Have you heard Atrocity's cover of Shout, Vynce, featuring Liv from Leaves Eyes on dual vocals with her husband Alex? I love it (and the original). We've got the 'Werk 80' CD set with both their albums of 80s covers and there's some great stuff on there: Don't you Forget About Me, The Sun Always Shines on TV, Smalltown Boy, People Are People and, probably my favourite, Fade To Grey.

I don't know if some of the tracks would be as well known on the continent as they are in the UK; there are some tracks I don't know the originals of either, I don't know if they just weren't hits in the UK or if I just don't remember them (The 80's seems so long ago!) When I first heard Alex singing 'clean' as opposed to his growls with Leaves Eyes I must admit I didn't like it at all, but then I found his style grew on me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 8 Jul 2011 20:09 

Yeah, sure... we know all these songs here in France too ! I'm afraid I'm too sentimentally attached to the original versions though. I know each and every detail of them (I'm 40, so I was 13-17 when I discovered them, so you can imagine all the images striking me back... ;) ).

My favorite bands at that time were Tears For Fears, Depeche Mode, The Simple Minds, Mike Oldfield, etc... I could talk hours and hours about my favorite 80s songs. It's even tempting to make a cover version - for example, I thought of Alphaville's Forever Young, Chris de Burgh's High On Emotion...

... but well... I think Whyzdom exists for creating new music, not for playing good'ol' songs ;)

Maybe I should do some side project, but I have absolutely no time for that.

By the way, let's create a topic about our favorite 80s songs !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 19:19 

Yeah, I'm 44- I remember them first time around too!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jul 2011 22:01 

Ali wrote:
Yeah, I'm 44- I remember them first time around too!
45 and yeah love them like good old friends. The Hurting was a brilliant album by Tears for Fears as was the big Chair. Mad World and Pale Shelter stuck to me for a good couple of years.
I also Loved Duran Duran and Frankie goes to Hollywood Thompson Twins Depeche Mode Yazoo and the god that is Midge Ure who was both song writter and performer in Slik, Visage and my personal faves Ultravox.
I saw Ultravox in London last year, and came out with no voice i`de been singing so hard.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jul 2011 08:14 

Hornet wrote:
Frankie goes to Hollywood

Oh yes ! Welcome To The Pleasure Dome is an awesome album ! Almost entirely made by Trevor Horn. This guy is incredible. He also made the Bugles "Video Killed the Radio Stars" and one of my favorite albums all times : YES - 90125, with the huge hit "Owner Of A Lonely Heart" !!!! Yeah !

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul 2011 18:24 

Sabaton's album 'The Art Of War'
check out 40:1, my fave track from the album,

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next