Welcome to the official forum of Whyzdom - Symphonic Metal with Orchestra and Choir

It is currently Thu 28 Mar 2024 22:07

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Evanescence
PostPosted: Tue 9 Aug 2011 15:48 

Since we got an Evanescence discussion going in my intro thread I thought I'd go ahead and make one here. :getdrunk:

Having sold nearly 15 million records worldwide, more than 6 million in the U.S. alone, and earning two Grammys® with their major-label debut Fallen, Evanescence continue their meteoric rise with their latest effort, The Open Door (Wind-up Records). The Open Door debuted at the top of the Billboard charts selling more than 447,000 units in its first week and reached platinum status in just over a month. The album is defined by Amy Lee's beautiful melodies, compelling lyrics, poignant piano and stunning vocals, fused with Terry Balsamo's urgent yet intricate guitar to form a seamless, ethereal mixture that perfectly channels the band's hard rock and classical sensibilities.

“Making this record was really intense,” explains Lee. “Terry suffered a stroke in October after recording his guitar parts and thankfully continues to recover, we got a new manager [Andy Lurie at 110 Management in Los Angeles], and I'd come out of a difficult breakup. But everything we've been through together has benefited this album.” With Fallen, says Lee, the band had much to prove while defining its identity. This time, finding a cohesive writing partner in Terry Balsamo, “we really took our time crafting this album and had the freedom to express a broader range of emotions: not just pain and sadness, but also anger and, yes, even happiness.”

Written late in 2005, The Open Door was recorded at The Record Plant in Los Angeles and mixed at Ocean Way Studios in March 2006. Marking the return of producer Dave Fortman, the album's musical elements include a classically-infused choir and strings on several tracks, giving further color to songs of introspection, longing, doubt, self-respect and, ultimately, empowerment. The album opens with “Sweet Sacrifice,” a post-relationship catharsis that head-dives from an otherworldly intro into a hard-driving thrash of hard rock guitars and soaring rock vocals. Its first single, the mid-tempo “Call Me When You're Sober,” reinforces the moving-away-from-dysfunction theme.

Other standout tracks on The Open Door include the second single, “Lithium,” which embraces feeling over numbness, “All That I'm Living For,” Lee's tribute to band life, “Weight of the World,” her plea for perspective from the expectation of young fans, and “Good Enough,” a string-and-choir-infused closer distinguished as the band's first truly (almost) contented song (“It feels really good ending the album this way,” says Lee).

Its tour began immediately after the debut of The Open Door, rewarding hardcore fans with a “sneak peak” at the album with handful of more intimate theater dates in the US and Europe before segueing into much larger arena shows at the end of 2006. Since the album's release, the band has performed in front of well in excess of one million fans in more than 25 countries, including the US, Canada, France, UK, Spain, Germany, Greece, Turkey, Russia, Israel, Argentina, Chile, Brazil, South Africa, Japan, Australia and New Zealand.

As The Open Door nears sales of 2 million copies in the U.S. and more than 4 million copies worldwide, Evanescence will headline a North American tour, including 3 arena shows in Mexico, this Fall. The tour will begin October 23rd in Miami and conclude on or about December 10th. With the recent additions of Dark New Day's (Warner Bros. Records) Will Hunt on drums and Troy McLawhorn on guitar, Evanescence is poised to finish up 2007 with a bang. Evanescence has chosen Australian modern rock trio Sick Puppies and electronic rock act Julien-K to support them on the tour.

Evanescence is Amy Lee (vocals, piano), Terry Balsamo (guitar), Tim McCord (bass), Troy McLawhorn (guitar) and Will Hunt (drums). Fallen, their major-label debut, was released in April 2003 to critical and commercial success and has sold more than fifteen million copies. Their second major label debut, The Open Door, debuted at Number One on the Billboard charts and reached platinum status in just over a month.

Originally hailing from Little Rock, Arkansas, the band's evolving sound – a nearly mystical marriage between rock, goth and classical – was informed by a curious duality. Lee, who spent nine years studying classical piano, explains, “When I was in high school I listened to a lot of death metal bands. Both genres are intricate, complex types of music that are very dramatic, and I'm naturally drawn to that.”

Evanescence self-released two EPs and a first full-length album, the much-sought-after Origin, before finding a home at Wind-up Records. Fallen, their major-label debut, was released in April 2003 to critical and commercial success. The internationally appealing Top 10 singles “Bring Me to Life” and “My Immortal” helped drive airplay and led to two 2003 Grammy Awards (Best New Artist and Best Hard Rock Performance for “Bring Me To Life”). Propelling the band to sales of nearly 14 million albums worldwide, Fallen spent more than 100 weeks on Billboard's Top 200 chart, was certified gold or platinum in over 35 countries, and sold out arenas globally. Anywhere But Home, their 2004 live DVD release, has sold over one million copies to date.

The inherent drama in Evanescence's music – a kind of audio odyssey that can turn on a dime from piano-led introspection to hammering guitar – has resonated with listeners everywhere. The band's aggressive core finds a counterpart in Lee's passionate vocals, lyrics that forge a connection with audiences searching for identity or struggling with feelings of desire, hope love and loss. The Open Door is a logical (but certainly not predictable) transformation of epic proportions for the band, which, in many ways has only just begun to make its mark on the music world.

So... Thoughts? The new single has come out. I like it. Not love it. It definitely makes you want to dance, I will say that. And no matter how much I may not like Amy Lee, you have to admit she does make good music.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Evanescence
PostPosted: Tue 9 Aug 2011 20:50 

So, now that you have opened a topic about Ev, what about a topic about WATF ? I want to know more ! 8-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 9 Aug 2011 21:00 

Vynce Leff wrote:
So, now that you have opened a topic about Ev, what about a topic about WATF ? I want to know more ! 8-)

Yes, your majesty. Going to create one now. :good:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 9 Aug 2011 21:02 

Coool !

I watched them a bit on Youtube. They are cool. It seems they don't get much success though... and people seem to be extremely rude with them :? .

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 9 Aug 2011 21:07 

Vynce Leff wrote:
Coool !

I watched them a bit on Youtube. They are cool. It seems they don't get much success though... and people seem to be extremely rude with them :? .

You're telling me... :wait:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue 13 Sep 2011 22:49 

So has anyone seen the new video for What You Want? I actually like it. Still don't like Amy, but I like the video and song.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed 14 Sep 2011 22:01 

brittany.nicole wrote:
So has anyone seen the new video for What You Want? I actually like it. Still don't like Amy, but I like the video and song.
You know what? I only saw it tonight when i got home from work, and I personally think it`s the best thing shes done since Fallen.
Come on, spill the beans, why don`t you like Amy? she sacked a few band members, but she`s alrite isn`t she? :ugeek:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep 2011 19:20 

Hornet wrote:
brittany.nicole wrote:
You know what? I only saw it tonight when i got home from work, and I personally think it`s the best thing shes done since Fallen.
Come on, spill the beans, why don`t you like Amy? she sacked a few band members, but she`s alrite isn`t she? :ugeek:

Hmmm... I forget where I posted my originally rant. :lol: I think it was somewhere on here... Let me see if I can find it...

EDIT: I found it. Twas in my intro topic. lol :good: Here ya go...

Amy was just saying all this... (Pardon my French, oh wait. xD) bullshit that by Ben getting back together with John and Rocky that they were trying to copy Ev again. And it was in interviews with all these big names like Roadrunner, Billboard, MTV, etc. And Carly just HAPPENED to look like Amy and their fashion choices are the same, so all the Ev fans accused Carly of being a copy cat. (Which she isn't. Carly is the sweetest, nicest woman ever, and we love her to death. Not to mention her whole American Idol family that joined our we-love-Ben-Moody-and-the-guys family.) Then they try and find every musical similarity they can. Tear each song apart piece by piece. Oh, this sounds like so-and-so Ev song, so does this one. And when WATF does a cover of Going Under, once, and My Immortal, ONCE, they go ape shit again once things have calmed down. Starting trouble all over. And Amy does nothing to stop it. WATF does. They just want everyone to get along. It isn't f-ing fair!!!! And now IDK if we're even going to get a second album or not. I did so much work for them, creating a fan club, getting to know everyone, becoming an admin on a UK fan forum when I'm from America... It may all have been for nothing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011 04:02 

I understand your frustration, but you can`t seriously blame Amy for whats happening in another band.
She`s got other stuff to worry about before sorting out the problems of people she has already sorted out.
If Amy hadn`t of got rid of Ben and Co. There would be no WATF!!

I`m no huge fan of either band so i`m not in either camp, the music each band provides us with will ultimately decide who stands and who falls. Personally, I hope both stand :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 16 Sep 2011 16:31 

Hornet wrote:
I understand your frustration, but you can`t seriously blame Amy for whats happening in another band.
She`s got other stuff to worry about before sorting out the problems of people she has already sorted out.

I`m no huge fan of either band so i`m not in either camp, the music each band provides us with will ultimately decide who stands and who falls. Personally, I hope both stand :D

Well the standard edition of Evanescence's self-titled album has been leaked. But I in no way support downloading it. Even though I already have. So make your decision. ;)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 17 Sep 2011 10:39 

brittany.nicole wrote:
Hornet wrote:

Well the standard edition of Evanescence's self-titled album has been leaked. But I in no way support downloading it. Even though I already have. So make your decision. ;)
OK, it`s made, I won`t be Downloading, or buying the CD until i`ve heard something else I like on it. :banana:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb 2024 07:02 

теат247ThisCHAPPictWrigРадчLoveгитаPatrсъемBabuЦереМаксFamiTescпредунивTescИгналиниLoui230A
АтамМорсClauNormXVIIPierГаврдизаAdveСеркLawiAdioармиТильШахнXVIIШевеДубрVaniTescАртиErhaMarg
SamsПавлцветДежкKurtLycrпромюнкеИльиВранXVIIвкларассMinlLakaNick1953КороCharЕнинErneFunkсерт
MeryOmsaSelaGirlRoxyДендstylдругEnjoFELIduroКолоSelaМарчСмирKeepВорктрафСкитBegiМурмЦяньJohn
ВоскбытуMinnZoneХавиZoneChetMORGZoneZoneZoneZoneZonediamZoneзакаZoneZoneZoneсереГинцZoneChet
ZoneклейтреуSlyGSarrГермMielMielLawr1002ConvистоДревFlowцветLabaLawrSelkDAEWAVTOпатиневрVoca
предмозаEducукраподаизобнаклDiabJewewwwcLEGOUnitMakiAdidграмЛитРMikhБезъЛитРWindЛитРЛитРЛитР
НарыРомаязыкPansсбыткандЕвдоГлинСахнгазеmanaLoliБелоВавиИндоCaveЗахамираСамуRush(ведGaryСави
МазуСычеНикоучреEasyиздастерпольХариМосиAstrВачьCrazоживСизоDiddбиблТопоДьячБранСавиSlyGSlyG
SlyGМура33-4ТуртСтепReekДороАлекГизаПащесамоМакуAntotuchkasTuriAnge

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat 2 Mar 2024 07:47 

сайтcottagenetсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт

Profile E-mail